Sunday, August 30, 2009

Eat at Providence

That's us in front of Providence. People that watch Top Chef might know about this place. That's what I was told.

I never had a 9 course seafood dinner before. Maybe a 7 course Chinese dinner at one of the hundreds of Sam Woo's in San Gabriel Valley. Sounds like a big task. How much food is there? Could I eat that much? Is it gonna be salmon cooked 9 different ways? Well, actually, these thoughts never crossed my mind.

So, the president's birthday being a special occasion, MA took me to a nine course meal at Providence. The only thing I knew about this place is that they serve gourmet seafood...and you need a reservation. When we arrived, what struck me was that the location of this place doesn't fit in with the type of restaurant I thought it was, a gourmet restaurant in a working class neighborhood? And from the outside, there's nothing to convey what type of restaurant it is. I guess they want to save on the rent.

As I walked in, however, I felt rather under-dressed. Seems like all the men had jackets on, except me...and I thought I dressed up for the occasion. Then again, I think Panda Express is gourmet food. They let us stay for dinner anyway, and never ask me to wear a jacket.

So, after a couple of drinks, and being shown to our table, we had the pleasure of reading the menu, which was full of food with interesting names that I can't pronounce or remember. After a brief deliberation, we decided to stick to our original plan and order the full sampler, which was the 9 course tasting.

You ever seen Top Chef? With each meal served, there's an explanation that goes with it. And that's how our dinner was like. One of the wait staff would always come by to explain what we're about to eat, and how it was prepared, and put our fears to rest. I could complain about the portion, but any bigger and we wouldn't have made it to the 9th course.

I pulled the names and photos of the dishes below from MA's Picasa posting. Like I said, I can't remember the names of these things. My notes are like...raw fish, cooked fish, and foam, and eggs, and meat... Ok, to the food!

Amuse bouche = Gin & Tonic gelee, Mojito gelee, cold carrot soup
This one is courtesy of the chef? Pre-meal appetizer, I'd guess you could call it. Thumbs up. Gelee? Amuse bouche? Real words, really.


First course = kampachi served over a creme anglaise & fish/rice crackers
Oh boy! Never...never had fish like this. Creamy, buttery, no fishy taste what so ever. Doesn't taste like any fish I ever had. Awesome. I could've had more of this.


Second course = sea urchin served with a soft yolk egg with brioche croutons
I never had sea urchin before. Could eat more of this too.


Third course = scallop served over chanterelle mushrooms and sake sauce
I love scallop. And this one probably tops them all. Definitely could have more.


Fourth course = halibut served with some type of sauce and foam
OK. This one is good, but I wouldn't miss it if not served. But, again, more would be nice.


Fifth course = wild alaskon salmon served over carrot potato puree, english peas & salmon skin crisp
Love the Salmon. The skin was great. Overall, about as good as the Halibut. So far, 5 for 5...or 6. I wish we could remember everything that was told to us. It really added to the experience.


Sixth course = veal medallions served with potato puree and baby onions with a beet and veal reduction
Ahh...oooohhh....now this one! We're not much of veal-eating people. Never had a veal that we liked. But this one. Oh my. I didn't think I could like veal. Doesn't taste like any veal I ever had before. Never tastde anything like this before. Soo tender, soo juicy, sooo tasty.
It's beautiful, man! Could have more of this too, but we're stuffed by the end of the course. 6 for 6.


Seventh course = cheese tray (swiss, black truffle goat cheese, walnut-oil infused cow's milk) served with apricot jelly, figs, candied pecans, & apple jelly
Ok...cheese. After the veal, where else can you go? We're winding down now. It's like intermission, but you keep going. I kinda like it, but it's still cheese. An education, if nothing else.


Eight course = cucumber sorbet w/ vanilla sauce
One of the two dessert courses. Cucumber? Eh? More seafood please.


Ninth course = Miso cheesecake served with plum sorbet, japanese peaches, & raspberry sauce
Looks nice doesn't it? Yeah...more seafood please.


OK, so it's 6 for 9, or 7 for 10, if you count the chef's special. MA might disagree with the desserts. Still...every time I think about it, those flavors just pop back in my mouth. Very enjoyable, great experience, and lots of fun for both of us. Of course, now we have to brown bag it the rest of the year.

1 comment:

Tanner said...

Excellent review once again Larry! I like how almost everything ends with "More please!" That's a pretty adventurous food journey. Each of those things look like art. Even the chef's special. But those names??? Aw, c'mon!!! He made those up huh?

Oh yeah, what's your favorite Mexican place? And could review that with pics?? Ya-hoooooo!