Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Eat at Fergburger (Serious Burger)- Queenstown

I was trying to blog about the places we ate on our vacation last Oct. But when we got to New Zealand, it was more difficult than I thought to get on-line. So, anyways...


In So Cal, In and Out has to be my favorite burger joint hands down. Islands (for the Kilauea and Hawaiian) would be next on my list. Then it's pretty more or less the same for me at most other places. So, on our visit to Queenstown, New Zealand (next to that lake in the photo there), known more for sheep than burgers, I wasn't expected to be blown away by burgers. Queenstown is a small resort type town, with not a lot of chain restaurants around. Kinda refreshing. Since we didn't know much about this place, we asked the concierge at our hotel for suggestions. "Fergburger, tonight and everynight!" he said. We took his advice...at least for one night.

The place was packed, and the wait was long. There was no room inside, so we waited outside in the cold. And it was cold! ...for spring time. Queenstown is not too far from Antartica...realtively, so anyways, cold, long wait. I didn't expect much, but was hoping that the wait was worth it. Then the burger came. It was huge! It's like two Double Doubles. At least that was how it felt in my stomach. Really, I would have been satisfied to split the burger with MA. Not only was it big, but it was the best burger I ever had. We think the local meat, from free range cows, has something to do with it. Burgers never tasted so sweet.


And of course, I chased it down with the South Island's favorite, Speight beer. We tried different places every night, but of all the meals we had in New Zealand, we regretted not going back for seconds at Fergburger.



No comments: